03/12/2013

The Hunger Games: Book Review

Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Series: The Hunger Games Trilogy
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Genre: Dystopian, Adventure, Action
Source: Borrowed from a friend

Twenty- four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives.
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death – televised for all of Panem to see.
Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.



Hey there! You're looking great today!

Now, I know that I'm about a million years late, but I've finally read the Hunger Games! Go me! That's one more book down on my reading bucket list!

So I really loved this book. A lot more than I thought I would. The book is written in a way in which I managed to feel the same feelings as the characters. 

There was a brilliant build up to the reaping, although we weren't given any hints as to what would happen. Then, during the games, it was all described in such a way that I felt I was actually there. I guess it did help that I had already seen the film, but I could picture it even better now that I've read the book. 

The best bits of the book, in my opinion, were the parts where Katniss and Peeta were together. I just love them. These parts of the book just made me smile like an idiot. From the moment they first met, and Katniss saw him only as her opponent, to the part where Peeta declares his love for her, where they kiss for the first time. It all seemed so believable, and I hung on to their every word.

The only thing that I didn't like about this book is that the beginning was quite slow. Not prominently, but it took a while for me to get into the mind-capturing state that is The Hunger Games. 

But I definitely give this book 5 stars. 

Now I just can't decide whether I should finish reading Catching Fire before I see the film, or just go and see the film. I think I might finish the book, which might mean waiting for the film to come out on DVD, but who cares. I wish I'd read the Hunger Games before I saw the film. 

But seriously, I want to add to my reading list. What are some books you recommend?

Love, 
Eden


2 comments:

  1. This is my favourite book too, and Catching Fire is a great film you should go and see it! x
    http://myfashionkicks.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing it!
      Eden xx

      Delete

i love a nice comments, feel free to leave one!! and leave your links, i love finding new blogs! xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...