22/01/2014

Tape by Steven Camden : Book Review

Title: Tape
Author: Steven Camden
Publisher: Harper Collins
Genres: Time travel, coming of age, love
Source: For review*


In 1993, Ryan records a diary on an old tape. He talks about his mother’s death, about his dreams, about his love for a new girl at school who doesn't even know he exists. In 2013, Ameliah moves in with her grandmother after her parents die. There, she finds a tape in the spare room. A tape with a boy’s voice on it – a voice she can’t quite hear, but which seems to be speaking to her. Ryan and Ameliah are connected by more than just a tape. This is their story.












I really loved this book. And I mean really loved it. If I'd have had the time, I would have read it all at once.

Ryan and Ameliah are two teenagers, "separated by time, but infinitely connected." I think that is a perfect summary of the book. This is not only a story of time-travel, but a coming of age story and a love story, all wrapped up into the perfect package.

Written through the perspectives of both Ryan and Ameliah, we are able to see into the lives of two normal teenagers, each suffering with normal teenage problems. Ryan has a crush on a girl from across the road, Amelia is struggling to fit in with her friends. These characters are extremely relateable and I fell in love with them immediately.
Both have lost those close to them. Ryan's mother passed away, Ameliah's parents. And they both find a way to cope. Ryan's way is speaking to his mother through a tape, Ameliah's is to go through her mother's stuff, in a way, becoming her.
This is the beautifully written story of how they are connected.

At the beginning of the book, I was oblivious to what might happen at the end. Oblivious yet curious. It starts off as just a normal story of a teenage boy and a teenage girl. But as the book progresses, we see more and more links between them, and it becomes clearer and clearer how they could possibly be connected. I really love this style of writing, as it allowed you to figure out the ending yourself, it makes you think.

I could literally read this book over and over again. It's such an original idea, and so well written, I praise you Steven Camden. Everyone needs to read this book. Everyone.
Order it here!

This is definitely going on my list of favourite books!
Hope you enjoyed this post!



Eden xx

Follow me on: bloglovin // instagram // pinterest // tumblr //  8tracks

*Thank you to the lovely Michelle and all of the people at Harper Collins and The Big Shot for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review


2 comments:

  1. HOW HAVE YOU MANAGED TO GET HOLD OF THIS?????
    VERY JEALOUS. It sounds like an amazing book
    Holly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh, I'm so lucky I know! It's such an AMAZING book!

      Delete

i love a nice comments, feel free to leave one!! and leave your links, i love finding new blogs! xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...