10/02/2014

Divergent: Book Review

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Genres: Dystopian, Young Adult, Romance
Source: Bought

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.
Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series--dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance [from goodreads]





I had very high expectations for this book, and every single one of them was met. Tris's story is one that not only kept me on the edge of my seat, but also drew me in, encapturing me in the drama, romance and tragedy.

The characters in this book are really interesting. Tris is exremely unpredictable. From the moment she gets 'inconsistent' results on her aptitude test, to the part where she makes the shocking decision of what faction to move to, from her seemingly skinny love with Four to her brutal nature when faced with conflict, you never know which direction she is going to take.
The character nicknamed 'Four' is another who was mysterious, but it a captivating way. When we are first introduced to him, he is hard, strong willed and mean. But further through the book, we see a much softer side to him. And he flicks between those two personalities in a way that takes you by surprise, but always seems to fit the mood and the plot.

Not only were the protagonists well-written, with perfectly fitting character flaws, but also many background characters which made the book what it was. Tris's friends, who shaped her into who she was, villains Eric and Marcus, both stunningly evil in completely different way. Each character in the book plays a vital part in the story and you never get bored with anyone.

The plot of Divergent is thrilling, captivating yet also heart warming and devastating. Within the first few chapters, we are thrown a curveball in which Tris (or Beatrice at the time) makes a shocking choice of faction. While reading the book, I could really relate with Tris and the situations she faced. I found myself feeling nervous while she was going through the initiation stage of her new life. My heart melted at parts of the book, as the romance was written just as well as the exciting bits. And throughout all of this, we can see true feelings of happiness, friendship and loss. It all comes together to make a book from which I couldn't tear my eyes away from.

Divergent was a beautifully written story about love, loss, friendship and teamwork. With characters which are written flawlessly, and a plot that you never want to stop reading, it is a book I definitely recommend to anyone and everyone.



Eden xx

Follow me on: bloglovin // instagram // pinterest // tumblr //  8tracks


7 comments:

  1. I freaking LOVE this book! I flew through it so fast. I love Tris and Tobias's story line and so many people at my school are reading this! I can't wait for the movie!!

    xx, Cathy
    http://helllo-cathy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I couldn't stop reading! The movie is going to be amaaazing! x

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you're super happy with this book. I haven't read it- I think after reading this I should! xx

    Sharlotte // Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading Hunger games I tried to find another book to read. I saw this book advertised on internet for awhile but not really sure whether it will be good and this post is confirm me that I need to get this book. Thanks for the review. Followed! If you have time could you also check my blog out? :) xx

    http://kissmesunday.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think it's a must-read! x

      Delete
  4. Nice post!, You want us to follow? Please let me know in the blog. Kisses.
    http://prettytendency.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete

i love a nice comments, feel free to leave one!! and leave your links, i love finding new blogs! xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...