01/04/2014

Discussion: Skinny Shaming


**Quick disclaimer - everything I say on this post is my own opinion.

Now, I know this is a very controversial topic, and I'm not trying to stir up some drama, I just want to share my opinion on a topic which is very important to me. Feel free to share your opinions in the comments, but please don't be rude.

Skinny shaming is just as big of a problem as fat shaming. You wouldn't walk up to an overweight person and say "ohmygosh, you're so fat!" so what makes it okay to walk up to someone and say "ohmygosh, you're so skinny!" I know this isn't the real problem, but skinny shaming starts here. The media presents thin people as the perfect image to have. Which can make some people think that thin people can't be unhappy with their bodies. I do know that thin privilege is a thing, and I do think it's true. Thin people are generally happier. But not all thin people love how they look.

"no man wants to cuddle with a stick"
"men like something to hold onto"
"real men like curves, only dogs like bones"
These quotes are often used to make overweight people feel better about themselves, but in actual fact, it just makes thin people feel worse about themselves. I understand that a lot of overweight people WANT to feel better about themselves, but skinny shaming is not the way to do it. Phrases like this should not be used.

I'm not overweight, I'm not underweight, but I still recognise that just because someone isn't fat, that doesn't mean that they can't have body insecurities. A person who is naturally skinny would definitely not appreciate someone saying that they need to put on weight, because they can't. I have a friend like that. She's naturally very slim, and constantly my other friends are telling her that she's too skinny, but although her constant eating, she doesn't put on weight. For all we know, she could hate her body, and be trying desperately to put on weight, and the constant reminder that she is "too skinny" probably makes her feel worse.

A lot of "fat" people want to be thin, a lot of normal weight people want to be thin, but by shaming the slim in order to make ourselves feel better is not the way to go about it. Praising celebrities for not dating stick-thin models and dating so called "real women" is not the way to make yourself feel better about yourself.

I know that overweight people face more oppression that those that are slim, but what is a world where the oppressed become the oppressors? Skinny shaming will not get rid of fat shaming.

In a perfect world, there would be no shaming of any kind. People would promote body positivity. Which is what I'm trying to do. Yes, you're bound to get "shamed" at some time or another in your life because of your body shape. But in my opinion, the "perfect body" is the one you see when you look in the mirror.


The #aeriereal campaign is a campaign by American Eagle Outfitters where all of their models for their bras are not retouched in any way. It aims to make women and girls proud of their bodies. 
"the real you is sexy"

None of the women in their photos have been retouched at all, and finally you can see what the bra you are buying will look like on you, not on a model who's been retouched.  


I could write so much more on this topic, but I won't.

That's my opinion on skinny shaming, what's yours?

Eden xx

Follow me on: bloglovin // instagram // twitter // pinterest // tumblr //  8tracks

**p.s, if you have anything you'd like to talk to me personally about, please email me at edenrosesblog@gmail.com, instead of putting it in the comments. I'm always around to talk if you need it xxx


11 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you saying that the perfect body is the one you look at in the mirror- it would be nice if everyone could believe that! Also, quotes like "no man wants to cuddle a stick'' are so annoying.. some slim girls (like me) who aren't/ haven't been in a relationship feel like this could be the reason why they are single; because they need to put on weight for men to like them (we really don't need to). Everyone should be happy with how they are :)! Great post!

    http://laurenslittleblogs.blogspot.co.uk/

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree, I mean everyone should be happy with how they look, not try and shame others to make themselves feel better!
      x

      Delete
  2. This is not an easy topic to talk about but you have done it very well. I agree that being called 'skinny' is like being called fat and it can be very offensive. I've been called skinny in the past and I didn't take it as a compliment!! It's nice when people say 'oh you look great or you have a nice slim figure'. I'm someone who does workout a lot but that's because it makes me feel better about myself but I'm not trying to lose weight (sorry about the rambling) Lovely post xx

    http://lipstickandsparkles.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's great when someone says it as a compliment, but often, it's not meant like that!
      x

      Delete
  3. Brilliant post and great issue to highlight. Just as racism works both ways, so does skinny shaming and fat shaming.. !

    Josie xoxo | Fashion Mumblr

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with you here. I'm not overweight but I'm definitely more on the chubby side than I am slim, and I wouldn't dream of saying "no man wants to cuddle a stick" or anything of the sort, just as I wouldn't want a slimmer girl telling me that no man wants to cuddle a whale! You've made some great points here, it's nice to see posts like these in between the usual beauty things.
    I've followed you on GFC, I'm not sure if you have bloglovin but if you can find me a link I'd love to follow you on that too :)

    Ellie xx | http://theleobeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I agree! Why is it okay to say things about skinny people but not to larger people?
      x

      Delete
  5. I've always been naturally thin and I think it's absolutely disgusting how it;s considered okay for people to downright insult all thin people just to make bigger people feel better about themselves. I find it so insulting when I see facebook posts with thousands of likes that slates a thin person compared to a bigger person as if it ws the other way round there would be hell on! We should be promoting that every size is beautiful, it's unecessary and cruel to put one size down to make the other feel better and what we should be promoting is that size does not matter in the slightest! Completely agree with the post!

    Salted Roses // UK Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely agree! Everyone is beautiful, but shaming others to make you feel better isn't right at all!
      x

      Delete
  6. I'm naturally thin and I can't describe how much I hate the comments I get because of it. People think it's okay to call people 'skinny' and to tell them to go eat a burger, when it can actually really hurt someone. People used to tell me they could see my ribs (you couldn't) and one boy said I looked anorexic one day. It can be horrible...

    Every size is beautiful and we should be spreading that around. Loved this post. :) xx

    Through A Cat's Eyes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! I have always been naturally thin and even my friends have told me i'm 'too skinny' and i need to put on weight, but the fact is I literally can't. It always makes me happy when I see posts like this and I think everyone needs to see it. Completely agree x

    ReplyDelete

i love a nice comments, feel free to leave one!! and leave your links, i love finding new blogs! xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...