21/05/2014

You Are Mine by Janeal Falor // book reivew



Title: You Are Mine
Author: Janeal Falor
Publisher: Chardonian Press
Genres: Fantasy, YA, Romance
Published: May 6th 2013
Edition: Kindle*
Links: amazon // goodreads 


Serena knows a few simple things. She will always be owned by a warlock. She will never have freedom. She will always do what her warlock wishes, regardless of how inane, frivolous, or cruel it is. And if she doesn’t follow the rules, she will be tarnished. Spelled to be bald, inked, and barren for the rest of her life—worth less than the shadow she casts.
Then her ownership is won by a barbarian from another country. With the uncertainty that comes from belonging to a new warlock, Serena questions if being tarnished is really worse than being owned by a barbarian, and tempts fate by breaking the rules. When he looks the other way instead of punishing her, she discovers a new world. The more she ventures into the forbidden, the more she learns of love and a freedom just out of reach. Serena longs for both. But in a society where women are only ever property, hoping for more could be deadly.



Before I start, I just have to say that I thought this book was great. The concept was something unlike I've ever seen before, and so it was really intriguing and interesting to read. It did take me a long time to read, because, in my opinion, it took a long time to actually get into the story, but once it stared, I was hooked.

The first few chapters made me furious. All women are owned. Yes, you heard me, OWNED. Now, being a slight feminist, I think this is appalling. But that's part of the book. So, all women are owned by a warlock, who is magical. They must do everything they say, or face a brutal punishment.
The beginning of the book sees Serena, daughter of Stephen, up for her magic testing, to see if she would make a suitable wife. As you can assume, she does, and is sold to Chancellor Thomas, a vile man.
I actually loved the way that this character was written, because it's like he was designed for you to despise him.
In an unexpected turn of events, during the warlock tournament, Thomas is killed, and Serena's new owner becomes Zade, of Envado, the idea of which her father despises.

Without giving away too much, I have to say that what happened in this book was not what I was expecting. That's what I really loved about the book. The unexpected twist kept me edging towards frustration, at the fact I couldn't figure out Zade's true character.
Throughout the book, we see Serena beginning to fall in love with Zade, and I love this. You see the difference between the beginning and the end. As she begins to cherish his scent, and as the author begins to hint at jealousy on Serena's behalf, you can't help hoping that a true love is made.

I really like the characters in this book, they are well written and very sympathisable ( I just made up that word) and just lovely to read. Within the very male-dominated world, it's nice to see a woman who stands up for what she believes in, and takes risks to achieve her vision.

All in all, I very much enjoyed this book. Yes, it did take a while for it to get truly great, but it's such a unique idea which really makes you think about what the world would be like if it really were as male dominated as we hope it will never be.
This book captures all of the elements that make a book great: a great protagonist, a romantic love story, a daring and strong female lead, and the exciting plot twists around every corner.
I definitely recommend reading You Are Mine, especially if you're fans of books like the Hunger Games and Divergent.



Eden xx

Follow me on: bloglovin // instagram // twitter // pinterest // tumblr //  8tracks


4 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! First of all, I love her name and second, the idea behind the story seems totally different to what I've ever read before! Considering I liked watching both THG and Divergent, I might just give this a shot! Thanks, lovely! <3
    xoxo,

    BerryBloomXO.com 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I'm definitely going to pick up this book. Thanks for the recommendation :)

    http://mariahruthel.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! it's definitely worth a read! x

      Delete

i love a nice comments, feel free to leave one!! and leave your links, i love finding new blogs! xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...