02/07/2014

BOOK REVIEW: Geek Girl: Picture Perfect by Holly Smale


Title: Picture Perfect*
Author: Holly Smale
Series: Geek Girl #3
Genres: YA, Humour
Publisher: HarperCollins 
Published: June 5th 2014
Source: For Review
Links: amazon // goodreads

"My name is Harriet Manners, and I'll always be a geek."Harriet Manners knows more facts that most. She knows that New York is the most populous city in the United States. She knows that its official motto is "Ever Upward". She knows that 28% of Americans believe we never landed on the moon.
But she knows nothing about modelling in the Big Apple, and how her family will cope with life stateside. Or how to "become a brand", as the models in New York put it. And, even more importantly, what to do when the big romantic gestures aren't coming from your boyfriend...
Does geek girl go too far this time?



I've heard so much about these books, about the series, but I'd never really gotten around to reading them. But I'm so glad I did. I'm not going to blog about the whole series now, but I might get around to it in the future. But this book was perfect. It's one of those books that made me wish that it would happen to me. As I was reading it, I was picturing in my head what I would have done in each situation and how I would have dealt with it, and to be perfectly honest, I would have handled it much better than Harriet.

Without giving too much away, this book continues straight on from the last one. It's centered around Harriet Manners, a geek turned model. And she is just such a great character. I could definitely see her as a real person, which is what I love so much about this book. And I love how all of the new characters are written into the book. The boy who smells like oranges, the two new model "friends" it's all just so real. Harriet, to me, seems to be especially quirky in this book. So much that it starts to become a bit embarrassing. It's one of those things where you know that no one would actually do that in real life. Like, faced with a situation where there is a cockroach crawling up your leg and you're in the middle of a photo shoot, although yes, you would freak out, it wouldn't break the whole set would it? Or it might. I don't know. But I think things like that are what made the book so good. It's a book for heavens sake! It's not supposed to be realistic!

As for the general plot, I loved it. There were a lot more twists and turns than in the previous books and because of that, it's amazing. Although I did really like the plain, straightforward plot in the previous books, they were kind of easy to put down, but with this one, because of all of the "suspense" (though this isn't the right word) it was really hard to put down. I mean, even at the end of a chapter I was desperate for more!

Overall, Picture Perfect was an amazing book, the third one of what has been a wild ride of a series. Harriet Manners is seriously an icon of 2014.

Eden xx

Follow me on: bloglovin // instagram // twitter // pinterest // tumblr //  8tracks

*thank you to the people of HarperCollins for sending me this book free of charge in exchange for an honest review

9 comments:

  1. sounds great! X
    http://my--socalledlife.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing. I love this kind of book, so entertaining.

    xx
    http://felishmichelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post,dear!
    Keep in touch xoxo
    Antonella <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Defiantly need to invest in some new reads! Thank you for the review! Will put it on my list!

    www.britishbeautyaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard of these series but they sound so much fun!! :) xx

    www.definitelymycupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great book, perfect for taking on holiday!
    x

    Salt and Chic // UK Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it was a while ago, but thankyou for your lovely comment on our blog! I've had a look at yours and it's great! I love the layout, and book reviews! Have a lovely evening x

    Holly xx
    the-twins-wardrobe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you do book reviews! Nice!

    Magee / Mageeski.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

i love a nice comments, feel free to leave one!! and leave your links, i love finding new blogs! xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...