21/08/2014

BAKING: Mini Victoria Sponges


A la Great British Bake Off two weeks ago, I thought I would try and make mini victoria sponges. They're so easy to make and so delicious. I made mine gluten free, but I'm sure it would work just as well with normal flour!

Ingredients:
225g self-raising flour (I used gluten-free)
225g butter
225g caster sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the icing:
250g icing sugar
65g butter
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

I really like this recipe because it's so easy to remember, just use equal amounts of flour, butter and sugar.

Method:

  • Preheat the oven to 190C
  • Grease a baking tray
  • Beat all of the ingredients in a bowl until light and fluffy
  • Spread the mixture out onto the tray, using a spatula to make sure that the top is flat
  • Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
  • Leave to cool slightly, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely
Decoration:
  •  Mix together the icing sugar, butter and milk until smooth
  • Spoon into a piping bag with a star shaped nozzle
  • Meanwhile, your cake should have cooled completely, so using a cookie cutter, cut out as many circles as you can from the sheet of cake
  • Then (this is the trickiest bit) cut each cake circle in half, to make each half of the victoria sponge. 
  • On one half of each cake, spread a layer of strawberry jam. Use the stuff without the lumps!
  • On the other half, use your piping bag to outline the edge with little dots of icing with one dot in the middle. 
  • Then stick the two halves together
  • For the top, do a blob of icing in the middle of the cake and stick a raspberry on the top. I originally wanted to do a strawberry on the top, but we didn't have any in the house, so I compromised, and it ended up looking really cute

Anyway, these are some of the cutest things I've ever made, inspired by GBBO. And they're so easy, it's unbelievable! Let me know if you try it, and tweet me a picture @edenrosesblog


Eden xx

Follow me on: bloglovin // instagram // twitter // pinterest // tumblr //  8tracks


9 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!!

    www.ensembledeux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey

    You just commented on my blog so I thought I'd check yours out and it's so cute. These cakes look delicious and I love the layout of your blog!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the great british bake off!
    http://the-cake-diaries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. aah these are so cute! might have to try them myself

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com // blog sale

    ps. win raybans and beauty goodies worth £300 on my blog! click here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great! :) Going to try them out sometime!

    Yasmine | Cloudy Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thirst look incredibly yummy! Xx lovely post as always :D I've just started a blog of my own and if you're interested you are very welcome to visit. Followers are desperately needed!!! http://xbeyoutifulx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look amazing - I have such a sweet tooth!!!! :)

    Layla xx

    www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a nice blogger I love your blog so much help for my blog http://www.guruofmovie.com

    ReplyDelete

i love a nice comments, feel free to leave one!! and leave your links, i love finding new blogs! xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...