27/10/2014

Emily's House by Natalie Wright

Title: Emily's House*
Author: Natalie Wright
Series: The Akasha Chronicles (#1)
Publisher: Boadicea Press
Published: November 11th 2011
Edition: Kindle book

Fourteen-year-old Emily Adams is flunking math - and life. But Emily has a secret, one that she has kept even from her best friends. Soon the ancient legacy coursing through her veins will force her secret to be revealed. Dormant for over a thousand years, an evil has arisen and this time, it will destroy anyone - or anything - that stands in its way.

Three teens embark on a dangerous journey and risk everything. For Emily, the fate of her friends - and her world - lies in her hands.
Travel with Emily as she unlocks the secrets of her Celtic ancestors as she goes on a mystical journey to the inner house and beyond.




I feel like I've been reading this book for ages, but I've finally finished it, and I'm here to give you a review of it! It's been ages since I've done a book review eh?

I really enjoyed this book, it was an extremely unique idea. It's basically about a girl called Emily who is visited by a "being" one day, who summons her on a quest to save the world. Along with her two friends, Fanny and Jake, they travel halfway across the world and struggle for their cause.
The plot of this book is really well thought out and detailed, I love the way that throughout the book, it's linked back to the beginning, and never lets us forget what the original task for the kids was. I was completely drawn in.

Saying that, however, the first few chapters were not to my taste. They offered a backstory, which did prove useful to the story, however it was written in a way that did NOT appeal to me, and so I found it really difficult to read. I think that's why it took me so long to read. Once I got into it, I finished it in a week!
One of the good things about this book is that it wastes no time getting into the plot. By Chapter 2, the kids are already on their way to Scotland, to complete their mission. There's no waiting around, and I love that. I do hate it when a book takes AGES to get to the point.

The majority of the book focuses on Emily's training that she goes through in order for her to be able to defeat the evil Dughall (don't ask me how to pronounce it, I should have printed out the list of the pronunciations lol) I really really enjoyed reading this bit, as I actually found that it gave some good life advice.
"you are what you believe yourself to be" 
I really love this whole part of the book, because it's just so exciting, and it makes me feel like I REALLY want to be able to do that. I might actually take up meditation. Maybe one day I can open a portal to the Netherworld. Who knows?

But then came the action part, where there was the actual fight against Dughall, and that was the most exciting thing. I was so tense, it was unbelievable. For real, my heart was actually pounding. I know right? It was just so well written, to the point that I felt as if I was there, actually there.
Overall, I did really love this book. The only bad thing that I can say about it is that I found that using 14 year olds ( yes I know thats only a year younger than me, but I WAS MATURE OK) made it hard for me to take them seriously. There was too much childish language in there (chiz and nub being the two most common) and it just made me cringe. Like, it's a good idea, using the younger generation to inspire the younger generation, but I don't think real 14 year olds talk like they did in the book.
But anyway, it's easy to get past that, and once the book commences properly, it's not so frequent.

So yes, yet another book I've LOVED. Have you read it? What did you think?



Eden xx

Follow me on: bloglovin // instagram // twitter // pinterest // tumblr //  8tracks

*thanks to Publishing Push for sending me this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i love a nice comments, feel free to leave one!! and leave your links, i love finding new blogs! xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...