19/01/2015

emily's trial by natalie wright


Title: Emily's Trial*
Author: Natalie Wright
Series: The Akasha Chronicles (#2)
Publisher: Boadicea Press
Published: October 2nd 2012
Edition: Kindle book

Two years ago, Emily's journey began. She learned the ancient magic of her Celtic ancestors, and became a modern Celtic Priestess. The golden torc, forged by faerie hands, is still wound around her arm, fused to her soul. She was entrusted with powerful magic - secret knowledge.
But even a Priestess can feel desire - temptation - and the quest for love. Will passion entice Emily to use her sacred magic in a forbidden way? Can new love take root in a world of nightmares? And will her friendships survive Emily's Trial?






Following on from my review of the first book in this trilogy, I'm here to present to you, my review of Emily's Trial by Natalie Wright!

I must say, I liked this one better than the first. It was much easier and less cringy to read. I feel like it was just the style of the writing in the first book that really put me off reading the second, but I can't stop at the first book, I have to read the entire trilogy.
Before I continue, I recommend you read my review of the first book to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

As a basic overview of the plot, Emily has now returned to school after saving the world (in the first book) and is having to put up with a world of bullying. Then, Owen, the most popular boy in school seems to fall for her, and asks her to show him some magic. She knows she shouldn't do it on a day like this one - full of dark energy, but in a desperate bid to get rid of the nickname 'Freak Girl' she transports Owen, Fanny, Jake, Greta (her school bully) and herself to what she hopes is Akasha. She's wrong. She ends up transporting to the equivalent of hell. She has to save her and her friends before any of them are too weak to leave.

I enjoyed the first part of this book the most, the whole school aspect. I love myself a cheesy teen book, and that's exactly what the first few chapters of the book brought to the table. It was a typical high school setting, and was very enjoyable to read. It was nice to see a bit of character development from Emily, as she finally grew up a little. The whole Umbra Perdita part of the book (y'know ...... hell) was good, but didn't really hold my interest. In my honest opinion, I thought it went on for too long. You get all of the cliché action parts, you know, like she saves the boy, and then is given an impossible choice of who to save, and predictably makes the wrong one. And just as you think they're about to escape, there's more. And that's where I thought it went on too long.

The whole action part of the book was good. I actually felt nervous at some bits, and that's always a sign of a good book. And you know I love a good love story, which of course there was. The thing I loved about this book was that it brought a bit of everything - humour, classic teen romance, action, a typical bullying story and tragedy. I do recommend you read the series, as together, they make a good read. Though don't read them as far apart as I did.

Eden xx

Follow me on: bloglovin // instagram // twitter // pinterest // tumblr //  8tracks


1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for reviewing the books, Eden! I appreciate your thoughtful and honest reviews - always good to hear what people think!

    ReplyDelete

i love a nice comments, feel free to leave one!! and leave your links, i love finding new blogs! xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...