26/01/2015

natural hair movement



I don't know if anyone has heard of the natural hair movement  but I've recently been seeing a lot of it around, and it's made me super excited!

For those who don't know, the natural hair movement is basically the encouragement of women with curly/kinky hair (I've focused mainly on my dark skinned sisters here, but it's for all women) to stop using harmful relaxants and chemicals to straighten their hair, and to just wear it naturally. Not only is it destroying the idealism that black hair is dirty, unclean and unattractive, it's also promoting better haircare - anyone who has ever used chemicals on their hair will understand, it RUINS your hair.

Personally, I haven't had my hair natural since I was ten years old (that's 5 years) It really shows the flaws in the media when you consider the fact that a 10 year old girl thought that her hair was ugly, because of the lack of representation of beautiful, natural black hair. Yes, you can say that it is a bit easier to manage when it's straight, but to be honest, once you go natural, many people say it's actually easier! Now, thanks to the natural hair movement, natural hair is being glorified, and I love it so much.

I'm oh so tempted to go natural. All of the girls and women in these pictures look absolutely gorgeous. But honestly, I don't think I'm brave enough. Naturally, black hair draws a lot of attention, and I don't think I'm at the right time in my life at the moment, I'm also way to scared that if I were to cut it, it would never grow back. That's how damaged it is. Hopefully, in the not too distant future, I'll gather the courage to do it. I might even dye it in the process. Who knows. University will bring a change about in me, I hope.

What do you think of natural hair?

Eden xx

Follow me on: bloglovin // instagram // twitter // pinterest // tumblr //  8tracks

***i do not own any of these pictures. I found them on pinterest here and on this site. if any of these are your pictures and you would like individual credit or for me to remove them, please email me and i'd be happy to take them down ***

4 comments:

  1. I'm a new fan of your blog! Ran across your blog link on twitter. https://knwakefield.wordpress.com/2015/01/26/closed-casket-ripteddyneal/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have naturally curly hair and at the moment it is on the verge of becoming an afro! I love using argan oil products to weight it down, so it doesn't frizz so much. I used to constantly straighten my hair, but then I just learnt to roll with it. Other people seem to like it so why shouldn't I? Also I really think you should try leaving your hair natural for a week and see if you like it. ☺

    www.elevatorbrain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to do that! Maybe in the half term, I don't know if I'm brave enough to do it during school haha! Argan oil is definitely at the top of my list though! xxx

      Delete
  3. You should definitely go natural! I think curls are gorgeous. I for one have stick straight, thin hair and I've always wanted to have curly, thick hair! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete

i love a nice comments, feel free to leave one!! and leave your links, i love finding new blogs! xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...